Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bouncer Assignment

Loud music, alcohol, fist-fights, not everyone has to put up with these sights and sounds in their nine-to-five.

Dan Wonstolen, a senior at Colorado State makes this a part of his daily life.

Dan works at the Drunken Monkey, a jungle themed bar in Old Town Fort Collins.

"The reason I applied for the job was because it was the only time I could work with my schedule."

Wonstolen also is a member of the Colorado State University Club Rugby team, and has to work around his class and Rugby schedule.

"With my classes set up the way they are and rugby Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights I didn't have time to work at any other time."

Dan mentioned that being a rubgy player has helped him be an effective bouncer.

"It helpful to be tall and strong because I don't need to rely on anyone but myself to manage physical situatons."

While most students wouldn't choose to devote their weekend evenings watching others consume, Dan doesn't mind.

"I enjoy working in a bar because I can be out on a Friday and Saturday night and not spend money and still have fun. I have saved more this year by not spending my money on beer."

However, being a bouncer and staying out to all hours does have it's drawbacks.

"The worst part would be cleaning up at the end of the night it is time consuming and very mundane." Wonstolen commented.

"Another thing that isn't so good about working Friday and Saturday nights as well as two nights a week is it takes away from my social life. I can't go out with my friends on a weekend night and it puts a strain on any girl relationships I have because I'm out all hours and they don't get to see me at night."

While time consuming, and with pros and cons, working around an atmosphere such as a bar provides some memorable moments.

"All of the fights are pretty memorable, the most recent one six guys got arrested and one went to the hospital. Another one recently that I broke up, one kid was stomping on the head of another kid."

Fights aren't the only attractions at the Drunken Monkey. "Another time we had a guy who was playing with fire attached to some chains try to come into the bar naked looking for tips."

Though it is a loud, fast paced atmosphere where almost anything can happen at any time of the evening, Dan enjoys his job as a bouncer at the Drunken Monkey.

"The people that I work with are a lot of fun and I enjoy joking around and hanging out with them."

No comments: