Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Christmas time in Canada

Wow. I've had a few days to absorb and check out the games. The trades are in, and it was wonderful.
I've put together my own draft grades, and here they are. This was so much fun to do. I love this game.

I'll break down one trade per blog, which allows me to examine these trades and see how they have paid off.


My rating system is as follows.
4 pucks = Great deals. Could propel the team to the Cup Finals.
3 pucks = Strong work. Should provide some extra help.
2 pucks = Eh. Nothing gained. Nothing lost.
1 puck = What were they thinking?

Atlanta: Acquires Marian Hossa & Pascal Dupuis from Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh: Acquires Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 2008 first-round draft pick from Atlanta.

My grade: 4 Pucks.

What a deal this was! Instead of Hossa headed to Montreal, which was all but a done deal, Hossa ends up in Pittsburgh. Hossa essentially is a 'rental player' but the acquisition of a young talent like Dupuis sends the message to the Pittsburgh faithful that this team is going after the Cup.

Hossa will most likely play on a line with Sidney Crosby, and Evgeni Malkin. Two very young and very talented players. Hossa's experience will most certainly rub off on these players, and you know Hossa is going to be looking to do well in Pittsburgh. He has been accused of mailing it in in Atlanta, and will be an unrestricted free agent next season. Hossa is looking for a big payday.

Next time, I'll take a look at Tampa Bay, and their trade of Brad Richardson.

Until next time, keep your stick on the ice.

No comments: